Thursday, February 6, 2014

"Do you wanna go potty in the trunk?"

HUH??

I know. 

Weird.

Lately, little asian baby has developed irrational fears about everything. She's afraid of the blow dryer sound, the air conditioner coming on suddenly, cartoons characters that have too much white space in the eyes...and recently a fear of public restrooms. 

To be fair I guess though, public bathrooms are kind of scary and they have all the things that little asian baby is currently afraid off. The hand dryers make loud, unexpected whooshing sounds, you don't know when the stall door is going to open suddenly, the automatic paper towel dispenser makes a electronic sound, and once I took her to the bathroom at her art class and there were paintings and drawings of all things that scared her and she had to close her eyes the entire time she was in there. 

SOOOOOO....now I have to take her porta-potty with me whenever we go out.

Awesome.

So, today little asian baby and I ventured out to the mall to buy a birthday present for a little baby who's turning one this Saturday. I packed up the baby, items to be returned to various stores, diaper bag, snacks, extra clothing in case of "accidents" OH AND THE BABY POTTY! We got to the mall, and I asked little asian baby

"Do you wanna go potty in the trunk?" 

"Yes" was her reply.

And so we proceeded.

As I was standing there waiting for her to do her thang, an asian woman walked by, which is to be expected, because we were after all in a public parking garage and it is totally normal and expected for asian women to be walking around there. (probably looking for their expensive sedans with the dinged up bumpers because they keep crashing into things!) I didn't really think anything of it at all, EXCEPT......the woman did a double back and started talking to me (in korean) which made me think, that I guess I just look korean for people to just automatically starting talking to me in my native tongue! Anyways, so she just started up like

"IS SHE (little asian baby) PEEING IN THE TRUNK???? DO YOU HAVE SOMETHING THERE FOR HER?? WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO WITH THE PEE WHEN SHE"S DONE? HOW INTERESTING AND WHAT A GOOD IDEA!!!"

Now the lady wasn't rude or anything, and I could tell that she was GENUINELY shocked and surprised that a toddler could be potty-ing in the trunk of a car, so I just told her that my kid is afraid of public restrooms and that I dispose of the potty in near by grass areas (PEE OF COURSE! NOT POOP!!) Then the woman just laughed and said that since she doesn't have grandchildren she doesn't know of such practices... and that was that.

I'm sure (after she found her car) she called her daughter/son/friend whoever and told them the story of the little asian girl who was standing in front of the trunk of the car while her little asian baby peed in it, and everyone had a good laugh.

Whether those people/strangers/on lookers whoever judge me or not for doing what I do, I don't really care because like I always say about parenting.

DO WHAT WORKS FOR YOU!

-little asian girl


No comments:

Post a Comment