Sunday, November 13, 2011

dOn't liFt tHat! bAby's gONna falL!


so we all know that there is a fair amount of crazy in this world, but nothing prepared me for the amount of crazy that comes out of people when they find out you are pregnant. 

Now if you haven't figured out by now, my family in particular are a "special" bunch. From wedding plans to housewarming preparations, my family had their fair share of opinions. And now that I'm pregnant it seems that they have saved their biggest arsenal of material for these moments. 

Here are some of the "beliefs" my family members have about pregnancy:


1. If you lift anything heavy the baby's going to fall.

This one annoys me a lot, because every time I lift so much as a grocery bag people FREAK out. "THE BABY'S GOING TO FALL! THE BABY'S GOING TO FALL!" is what comes screaming out of their mouths. and I'm like really? fall from where? do you mean fall out of my vagina? In the event that the baby really does fall from my belly button to my vagina, i'm sure there is enough cushioning in there to protect it and stuff to keep it in. Don't worry people I'm sure that there have been no cases where due to lifting a 5 lb bag of potatoes, the baby shot out like a canon and went hurdling down the super market aisle like a loose watermelon. (Now I know that pregnant women aren't suppose to lift anything extreme, because of whatever medical mumbo jumbo reason, but please people. I'm just pregnant, not dying.)


2. Craving fruits and vegetables means you're having a girl. Craving meat means you're having a boy. 

This is the 20th century. Men no longer walk around grunting while clubbing meat products over the head and women's diets are not solely comprised of strawberries and lettuce. Everyone told me for the first 4 months that I was having a girl cuz I just wanted to eat fruits and veggies. (which annoyed me immensely as well, because what if I wanted a boy?!)  And although I am expected to have a girl, I can't say that I think this one is really true. The first month of my pregnancy I wanted nothing but korean bbq and carne asada burritos and now I'll eat any fruit/ vegetable I can. So unless my baby is a hermaphrodite or there's a little boy hiding in there somewhere, I think there's no truth to this one either. 


3. No morning sickness means you're having a boy.

Wrong again people. I had no morning sickness, but am having a girl.


4. (this is a sad one) No wearing high heels. *gAsP! diE~* 

This is one that I have been reluctant to give up. (of course) Although I will say that now after a day in heels my legs from my ankles all the way up to my thighs are burning, I REFUSE to put my 4in. heel gold glittered platform stilettos away! I just have to make sure to stash a pair of flats in my car just in case I'm going to see anyone in my family so that I don't hear about how i'm going to have a fall so severe that the 9.0 earthquake in japan will seem like a shiver. (oh and of course the baby's going to falL!) And one day i was wearing heels (WEDGES NOT EVEN STILETTOS) and as I was walking up the steps to my grandmother's house, she flung open the door and asked why my feet where making clickity-clackity sounds and told me to bid "sianara" to those shoes. *oOps* In the back of my mind I know there will come a day when I could just topple over, but we'll deal with that when it happens.

There have been a bevy of other "beliefs" that not only my family members have told me, but these seem to be the most common. It seems that EVERYONE men & women alike what to give you their two cents. And I know that being pregnant makes women more "edgy", but I don't really want to hear your opinion on a normal non-pregnant day, so definitely don't tell it to me now either. 

Unless...

 it's something useful like "don't forget to pack snacks when you go to the hospital, because you'll be hungry" and not something like " make sure you satisfy your cravings or your baby will come out with crooked eyes" (my grandma actually has told me that one A LOT)


*siGh*
 little asian girl out~

1 comment: