Thursday, September 15, 2011

What can I say....they're family....you gotta love them. Right?


Let me start my first post by saying that I love my family. Not just my immediate family, (dad, mom, bro & sis) but my ENTIRE EXTENDED family. Grandpas, grandmas, aunts, uncles, cousins. We are a loud and crazy bunch consisting of like 30 some odd people and every time we get together we laugh, cry, bicker, etc....and run through the full gamut of emotions (and that's just a casual dinner, don't even get me started on the holidays....) However, as much as I love my family and wouldn't change them for the world, they are at times (many a times) wildly inappropriate, rude, obnoxious, have absolutely NO boundaries, but are endlessly comical, entertaining, talented and loving. And as I live through life's experiences with them I can't help but wonder if that CW sitcom is actually based on my family and someone is screwing me out of a fat royalty check.

My parents and their families immigrated here in their twenties and are considered "1st generation Koreans" I am in turn 2nd generation, and my new baby is now the beginning of the 3rd generation. And just like probably many asian people of my age whose parents took ESL classes to "learn english" but still say things like "where you go now?" There is a constant clash between the older generation and the new. However, these clashes make for some hilarious and unbelievable stories, so I write about them, because if for no other reason I would like to have written proof that these things really did happen!

And when I'm 80 sitting in my wheelchair at the nursing home, sipping my drug laced apple juice, I'll read these posts and say "oh my life, what an adventure it was!"

1 comment:

  1. Jamie you are SO FUNNY!! And I love that you are awkward...cause I'm
    Awkward too. Yaaaay for the awkwards!!
    Update this blog girlie!! And add more photos!!

    ReplyDelete