Wednesday, January 16, 2013

" THE PEEEEAS! THE PEEEEAS!!"

To quote my very smart and precocious 7 yr old niece. Although when she said "THE PEEEAS THE PEEEAS...." it was more like Marlon Brando in the movie "A street car named Desire" when he was shouting "STELLLAAAA STELLLAA!' (it was marlon brando right? I don't know..i had to google it, but the google link took me to a yahoo link, so I can't say if it's true or not. I only believe things from wikipedia ;)  Anyway, my little niece was so disheartened by the fact that there were peas in her fried rice, she just HAD to put her head on the table and cry out " THE PEEEEAS...THE PEEEEAS!"

but I'm saying it like the kid in the movie version of "A Time to Kill" (which I originally thought was "To Kill a Mockingbird" but upon reading the wikipedia entry discovered were two different movies with the same story.) ANYWAY, at the end of the movie when they find Samuel L. Jackson's character innocent, everyone is all joyous and celebratory...

Yeah. I'm saying it like that!

"THE PEEEEEAS! THE PEEEAAAS!"

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN! THE PICKIEST TODDLER IN THE WORLD EATS PEAS!!

well only if I saute them in butter with carrots and potatoes. Not that she eats the carrots and potatoes, because she doesn't, but she eats the peas. Why does she eat peas sauteed with carrots and potatoes, but not peas any other way?? And why won't she eat the carrots and potatoes with the peas??  I DON'T KNOW!

I have long given up the notion that I could understand why little asian baby does anything she does. All the books and web articles are wrong. There is no real explanation for why babies/toddlers do what they do. All the literature out there is just there to give parents the "illusion" of control and understanding. If I asked Dr. Expert about why little asian baby eats peas sauteed with carrots and potatoes, but not any other way, he'd probably say something like ....

"Well, a toddler's brain is an AMAZING thing! As they grow and learn they are figuring out different patterns about the world around them, and blah blah..whoo haa...wonder weeks...blah blah...brain development...systematic patterns of behavior....boop ba dee doop...cry it out...blah laah laaah...synapses in the brain.....toot tee tooot...development......doodle lee doodle...shapes, colors, Mickey Mouse....poop pa dee poop."

and then we as parents would say "WOW! AMAZING!!"

but the real reason why little asian baby will only eat peas sauteed in butter with carrots and potatoes is, because she's a toddler. And toddlers just do weird things.

Gotta love them though! I mean who wouldn't with a face like this!



-little asain girl

1 comment:

  1. her and peas is just another visual of her picky eating still love the picture cute face!

    ReplyDelete