Saturday, December 8, 2012

Chocolate chip cookie or french fry?

Are the two choices I gave little asian baby for lunch today.....

Now before you judge me......

Since little asian baby has been sick she lost 1 pound.

Now before you officially decide I'm crazy....

For an adult, losing 1 pound is not a big deal. We probably lose that with our morning poop.

Now before you decide to close the page because of vulgar content....

For a little asian baby who is just shy of 3 ft tall, 1 pound is enough to drop her from the 40th percentile category in weight to the 35th. You've heard me say this before, but little asian baby is the WOORLD'S PICKKEEST EEATERRR!!! (You have to say it like a circus ring master. It's sound more true and less like the crazy ramblings of a neurotic little asian mom girl that way. heehee) She only eats fruit, sweets (cake, cookies, ice cream, everything delicious in the world....) avocado pineapple banana puree, and occasionally string cheese. Oh and chocolate. That girl LOVES chocolate! Every fiber of my being is devoted to putting weight on this little thing. I worry CONSTANTLY about her not getting enough calories and nutrition. She only eats every 3rd bite of food I give her, and since she knows how to say "NO" she uses it primarily at mealtimes. (Ironically though she grows like weed! Must be the magic miracle growing potion, aka breast milk, that I give her!)

SOOOOOO....when the doctor told me little asian baby lost the 1 pound that took WEEKS to put on, I was irritated to say the least. I was lamenting to the doctor how it's been so difficult to get little asian baby to eat anything at all and how frustrated I was that she had lost 1 pound. The doctor (who probably thought I was just as crazy as you probably do..) said to me "Just give her whatever she wants to eat. Even candy is ok!"

WHAAT? HUH?? ARE YOU SURE DOC? CAN I SEE YOUR MEDICAL DEGREE?? Was my initial thought. But she went on to explain that since little asian baby is getting over an illness and since she's skinny and not a great eater, I have to first get her to "enjoy" eating in the first place. That means letting her eat whatever she's willing to eat.

Got it doc. Will do.

So later that day I took little asian baby to the golden arches. Little asian baby LOVES french fries as well as cookies, so I offered her some of both. She willingly accepted my offerings. SUCCESS!! But then I thought, "I wonder what people are thinking watching me offer a toddler french fries or cookies as meal options..." Luckily no one said anything, but a dad next to me did give me a questionable look, but lots of people give me questionable looks often, so I'm not phased by it much. haha.

I guess next time I'll just ask the doctor to write me a note and I'll pin it on asian baby or myself like a permission slip.  And until then I'll just go through the drive thru.

-little asian girl

No comments:

Post a Comment