Tuesday, October 16, 2012

"Do something cute. Papa will take your picture~"

It's a phrase said a lot by asian husband to little asian baby. If you haven't already realized, we take TONS of photos of little asian baby. And although in the beginning of days, weeks, and months of her life, she only had a few poses in her repertoire (laying down on her back, laying down on her tummy, being propped up by mom, dad, or other soft cushiony item.) Now she can actually do cute things and make funny faces. However, you can only take so many pictures of a baby playing with the same brightly colored toys before it gets boring. And that's when the phrase comes out.

"Do something cute, papa will take your picture."

Every time asian husband says this I laugh. Then the other day I had a thought. Are we creating an atmosphere where only "cute" performances are rewarded? Will she grow up always feeling like if she wasn't doing something cute or funny then it wasn't worth her parents attention? Will she one day tell her therapist, that she always felt the pressure to "perform" or else her parents wouldn't love her? Is my little asian baby doomed to become the next Honey Boo Boo??!

Oh, gotta go, little asian baby is doing something cute...



- little asian girl


3 comments:

  1. love how you put the pictures at the end to show the world her doing cute things

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute or not, she's absolutely gorgeous and those pics are really sweet! Let them be cute for now, there comes a time that won't come in mind thinking of our kids LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not buy into the theory that if we tell our kids to be cute or pretty that they will grow up in a bad way. My mom always made me feel like a princess. If girls were mean to me in school (ummm, like all the time) she told me it was because they were jealous of me. I think its good to give kids confidence and, for girls, make them feel pretty. I still somehow managed to be in AP and honors classes and go to law school. So tell baby to be cute! She can't really help it anways, right??

    ReplyDelete