Thursday, October 11, 2012

OH YOU'RE EDUCATED!!!!!!!

Is what my friend surprisingly EXCLAIMED to me today. She had just found out that I do indeed have college attending experience.

She was surprised.
I was surprised that she was surprised.
It was a surprising moment.
It was funny.

Now, some people might have been offended that they were perceived as "uneducated" to people whom they come into frequent contact with. I on the other hand, was not, but it got me "thinking" (something that I hear is required if you want to go to college.) "Do I seem like a ditzy uneducated house wife? When I meet people, should I not lead with the phrase.."OH I didn't have any career aspirations. Just wanted to be a barefooted housewife, pregnant with 10 kids...."

hmmm...

Call me naive, but I guess I assume that everyone I meet is educated to some degree. I mean I know we all can't be Harvard educated (or as we say in my culture...HAAHBAHD...we're Korean, our English not so good, but EVERY Asian person in the world knows what that word means) but I'm asian, so education is in my DNA. Like washing rice before cooking or taking shoes off in the house. My aunt recently showed me a picture of her grandson "studying".
He was a newborn.
He was still lying in that clear container thing they put next to your hospital bed.
The hospital placed white posters with black shapes around him like a little pen, because supposedly newborns can only see black and white.
Asian people are crazy.

And like any good parent should, I've also thought a lot about what little asian baby might be when she grows up. Here are some occupations that she has already tried out.

dentist
model
blogger
cleaning lady
DJ
dancer (NOT the exotic kind, just to clarify.)
pianist
chef
drummer
cowgirl
photographer
super star

What a busy girl! Looks like asian husband and I are going to need to save up a lot of money for all the educating she's going to need! 

-little asian girl

1 comment:

  1. This is so funny. It was always expected that my sister and I would go to college. And I, too, assume people have some degree of college education. But seriously... I love baby girl as a model and a dj. Not much education needed there. That would save you money!

    ReplyDelete