Wednesday, November 14, 2012

I think she's trying to say "good job"!

Like any good parents, asian husband and I are THOROUGHLY convinced that little asian baby is a genius. And also like good parents, we "pretend" to understand everything that little asian baby "says" to us. (Isn't that what a lot of parenting is anyway? Nodding, smiling and making overly enthusiastic reactions when your child puts one toy out of 100's that she has in the box that's not really the toy box to "clean" up? But hey, at least she FINALLY got the concept: Put thing in box. YAY!) So when little asian baby says things that even remotely resemble the concept she is trying to convey, we have a celebration and immediately start "decoding" what little asian baby just said.

So lately she has been saying "HA PA!" and then clapping every time she feels she has done something good. She'll hand daddy a toy and then say "HA PA!" and clap. She'll feed me a cracker and then yell "HA PA!" and clap. Pull a toy off of the bath tub wall "HA PA!" clap clap and so on. Naturally we assume that she is conveying joy and pride in her recent action. But we couldn't figure out what "HA PA!" sounded like.

"Maybe she's saying YAY?" I said

"No, it's definitely two words..." asian husband said

"Maybe it's HURRAY?" I said (like how I did that? Yay, hurray, you can see I also am a genius myself!)

"No, she knows how to make the ayy sound, so it's not that. I think she's trying to say GOOD JOB! Except she can't say good or job, so it just comes out as "HA PA! Well, Hao Bahng in Chinese does mean SUPER....." asian husband said

"....???......??...?" asian husband and I thought

see?

genius.

Still in diapers and already learning two languages!

Where can we get an application for Mensa?

-little asian girl 

No comments:

Post a Comment